Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Irish Soda Bread

I was feeling festive this year for St. Patrick's Day and even though we arent Irish... or remotely close to being Irish, I wanted to go "all out". I like to celebrate and do special little traditions or have parties for no reason other than to eat good food and enjoy the company. I dont need a reason to celebrate, I'll make up my own and since there is no holiday for the Italians, I might as well live it up like I am Irish. So I did, and I made this bread with my son and it was delicious and my daughter ate a majority of it which is of no surprise, she is carb lover.

Hope you enjoy it!

Irish Soda Bread by MP Welty


Ingredients

  • 4 cups Flour
  • 4 tbsp white sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup margarine, softened
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk 
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degres. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
  2. In a large bowl mis together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and margarine. 
  3. Stir in 1 cup of buttermilk and egg.
  4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly. 
  5. Form dough into a round and place on prepared baking sheet.
  6. In a small bowl combine melted butter with 1/4 cup buttermilk. Brush the loaf with this mixture. Use a sharp knife to carve an X onto the top of the loaf.
  7. Bake in oven for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Continue to brush the loaf with butter mixture will it bakes for a crispy crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment