Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce

Is there a pasta dish by Pioneer Woman that I do not love? I highly doubt it! When it comes to pasta, Ree knows her stuff! I think my obsession with her pasta dishes come from an obsession of fatty products (butter, heavy cream & wine!). It's not a PW recipe if it does not contain butter! 

Growing up in an Italian family pasta was pretty much a novelty. We had pasta at least twice a week and always on the holidays (along with an assortment of meat). But the kicker is, I dont really like "pasta". Sure, I love noodles (carbs anyone?) but when it comes to the sauce, I am not a huge fan. Not only do I not really care for the sauce, the smell is almost nauseating to me. So I avoid pasta usually because that marinara smell does not my mouth water. I dont enjoy homemade sauce, nor do I enjoy the jarred stuff.

This dish however is delicious, its like pasta for grown-ups, except my kids love it to! I could live on this pasta, it's that delicious (as are all her other pasta dishes). What makes it so different? The butter, the cream, and the lack of thick, pasty, tomato sauce. 

Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce by The Pioneer Woman


Ingredients
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter
  • 1 whole Medium Onion, Finely Diced
  • 4 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 2 cans (15 Ounce Each) Tomato Sauce Or Marinara Sauce
  • Salt And Pepper, to taste
  • Dash Of Sugar (more To Taste)
  • 1 cup Heavy Cream
  • Grated Parmesan Or Romano Cheese, To Taste
  • Fresh Basil, Chopped
  • 1-½ pound Fettuccine (I used penne in the picture but have used fettuccine in the past)
Directions
  1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
  2. Heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and saute for a minute or so. Pour in tomato sauce and add salt, pepper, and sugar to taste. Stir and cook over low heat for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in cream. Add cheese to taste, then check seasonings. Stir in pasta and chopped basil and serve immediately. (Thin with pasta water before adding basil if needed.)

No comments:

Post a Comment